Princeton in Spain 2022 will be held from May 21, 2022 - June 18, 2022 (updated March 18, 2022). Summer programs are exclusively for Princeton University students.
This summer program will take place in-person and in-country, but will be subject to factors such as University travel guidelines, government travel restrictions, and public health guidance.
View the recording from the virtual information session which was held on December 2, 2021.
Princeton in Spain is an intensive summer program built around Princeton University courses and led by Princeton faculty in Toledo.
Princeton in Spain was founded in 2008 in partnership with the Fundación José Ortega y Gasset - Gregorio Marañón, a private, non-profit making institution devoted to cultural activities, debate and research for the dissemination of the Social Sciences and Humanities. In Toledo, the Fundación José Ortega y Gasset - Gregorio Marañón (FOM) is based in a privileged enclave, the former convent of San Juan de la Penitencia.
The program is designed for those advanced Spanish students interested in reinforcing and furthering their knowledge of Spanish language, culture, history and society through a four-week immersive experience. Fully in line with Princeton’s interest in the internationalization of our students, Princeton in Spain offers a combination of relevant classes, lectures and excursions, as well as the opportunity to work with the community in local institutions and to meet with local students for conversation exchange. Read more about the study abroad experience from past participants.
- Program Director: Prof. Alberto Bruzos Moro
- Led by Prof. Alberto Bruzos Moro and Prof. Germán Labrador Méndez
- Classes are exclusively for Princeton students.
- Class content and syllabi provided or supervised by Princeton.
- Based in Toledo, Spain.
- Open to current first-year students, sophomores, and juniors.
- Courses: SPA 207S, Studies in Spanish Language and Style (for students who have completed the language requirement), and SPA 310S, Spanish Art and Culture (for students who have taken at least one SPA course at the 200 level).
- Weekly excursions.
Program fee = $4,300 (Course fee: $2,685 + Homestay or Dormitory: $1,615) (charged to student account) Estimated airfare: $1,200 (student pays out-of-pocket)*
Estimated personal expenses: $500-600 (student pays out-of-pocket)
Passport and/or Visa: varies (student pays out-of-pocket)
• Course fee – includes tuition, required course excursions and group events, and related academic expenses
• Homestay or Dormitory – includes lodging (homestay with a host family or in the dormitory at the Fundación) and 3 meals/day (breakfast, lunch and dinner), 7 days/week
• Estimated airfare – *flight cost varies based on point of origin; please check online or with a travel agent for more accurate estimate
• Personal expenses – includes meals not covered by the homestay and other refreshments, laundry, local public transportation, toiletries and other incidentals
• Passport and/or Visa – for more information:
US passports - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html
VisaCentral - https://visacentral.com/?login=princeton
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT PASSPORTS: Routine processing is taking 8 to 11 weeks and expedite processing (for an additional $60) is 5 to 7 weeks. Students should plan well in advance to apply for a passport or to renew their passport.
Subject to change
- Saturday, May 21, 2022- Students arrive in Toledo and go to dorm or homestay.
- Monday, May 23, 2022- Classes start.
- Friday, June 17, 2022- Program ends.
- Saturday June 18, 2022- Students leave homestay.
*Quarantine and testing requirements are contingent on host country's guidelines for international travelers.
Students will apply through the Global Programs System (GPS).
Applications will open December 1, 2021 and will close on February 11, 2022 at 11:59PM (EST) . Students are encouraged to submit their applications before the deadline to begin the interview process early.
The application consists of an application questionnaire, an essay questionnaire, and a recommendation form.
If you have additional questions about the program or financial assistance, contact Karen González.