Applications being accepted from December 1st, 2023, to February 9th, 2024. Visit GPS to apply.
Princeton in Spain 2024 will be held from May 18, 2024 - June 15, 2024. Summer programs are exclusively for Princeton University students.
This summer program will take place in-person and in-country, but will be subject to factors such as University travel guidelines, government travel restrictions, and public health guidance.
Princeton in Spain is an intensive summer program built around Princeton University courses and led by Princeton faculty in Toledo.
Princeton in Spain was founded in 2008 in partnership with the Fundación José Ortega y Gasset - Gregorio Marañón, a private, non-profit making institution devoted to cultural activities, debate and research for the dissemination of the Social Sciences and Humanities. In Toledo, the Fundación José Ortega y Gasset - Gregorio Marañón (FOM) is based in a privileged enclave, the former convent of San Juan de la Penitencia.
The program is designed for those advanced Spanish students interested in reinforcing and furthering their knowledge of Spanish language, culture, history and society through a four-week immersive experience. Fully in line with Princeton’s interest in the internationalization of our students, Princeton in Spain offers a combination of relevant classes, lectures and excursions, as well as the opportunity to work with the community in local institutions and to meet with local students for conversation exchange. Read more about the study abroad experience from past participants.
- Classes are exclusively for Princeton students.
- Class content and syllabi provided or supervised by Princeton.
- Based in Toledo, Spain.
- Open to current first-year students, sophomores, and juniors.
- Courses: SPA 207S, Studies in Spanish Language and Style (for students who have completed the language requirement), and SPA 310S, Spanish Art and Culture (for students who have taken at least one SPA course at the 200 level).
- Weekly excursions.
Listed fees below are from summer 2023. Tuition is the same for 2024 however stay tuned for updated estimates on out-of-pocket expenses.
Tuition: $3,500 for a one credit Princeton course for summer 2023 ($500 non-refundable deposit included)
Room and Board: $1,000 (homestay or dormitory and 3 meals/day – breakfast, lunch, and dinner - 7 days/week)
The above listed costs will be added to the student account. There will be multiple cultural activities and excursions organized by the program, the costs of which will be covered by the program.
Estimated out-of-pocket personal and travel expenses:
- Roundtrip airfare to Madrid (may vary depending on point of origin): $1,200
- Personal expenses: $650 (laundry, local transport, toiletries, phone)
- Visas (not needed for US citizens and some other nationalities): cost varies
- Passports: cost varies
- Optional local cultural activities: $150
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT PASSPORTS: If you have a passport, make sure your passport is current and valid six months from the date of your return. If you do not have a passport, please note that processing times can be lengthy therefore students should plan well in advance to apply for a passport or to renew their passport. Processing can be expedited for an additional $60 and can take from 5 to 7 weeks. Check this link for details on options for expediting. For more information on passports and visas, use the following links.
Subject to change
- Friday, May 17, 2024 - Departure from US (overnight flight)
- Saturday, May 18, 2024- Students arrive in Toledo and go to dorm or homestay.
- Monday, May 20, 2024- Classes start.
- Friday, June 14, 2024- Program ends.
- Saturday June 15, 2024- Students leave homestay.
Students will apply through the Global Programs System (GPS).
Applications will open December 1, 2023 and will close on February 9, 2024 at 11:59PM (EST), Students are encouraged to submit their applications before the deadline to begin the interview process early.
The application consists of an application questionnaire, an essay questionnaire, and a recommendation form.