Princeton in Argentina
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese offers a study abroad summer program in Buenos Aires, Argentina, in collaboration with the Program in Argentine and Latin American Studies at the Universidad de Belgrano. The program will feature five weeks of instruction, designed and coordinated by Princeton faculty. In order to facilitate intensive culture and language immersion, all students will stay with host families. For those students who are interested, the program will offer opportunities to do volunteer work at local non-profit organizations, or take side trips to historical or natural sites in the area. Program dates are June 9 through July 14, 2018.
Buenos Aires offers an ideal setting for a summer study abroad program. It is a very safe city in comparison with other Latin American metropolises and it remains one of the most affordable choices in terms of transportation, accommodations, and meals. It has an extraordinarily vibrant intellectual life and a rich popular and political culture. It will provide our students with the opportunity to consider and examine many of the most pressing current social and political issues.
- Classes are exclusively for Princeton students.
- Class content provided or supervised by Princeton faculty.
- Based in Buenos Aires.
- Maximum of 30 students, divided into two levels.
Courses: SPA 208S: Language in Context: Urban Cultures of Buenos Aires (for students who have completed the language requirement) and SPA 342S/LAS 342S: Topics in Latin American Modernity: Politics of Culture in Modern Argentina (prerequisite: SPA 207 or equivalent).
- Directed by Gabriela Nouzeilles.
- Christina Lee is the resident faculty member who will lead the summer 2018 program in Buenos Aires.
- Weekly excursions.
- The program fee for 2018 is $4,600. (Covers tuition, excursions, and home-stay with two meals per day, excluding weekend dinners). Airfare, books, lunch, pocket money, and passport fees are not included. Please see FAQs for more details about out-of-pocket expenses.
Students will apply through the Global Programs System (GPS). Applications are due by February 15, 2018. Please follow the instructions in GPS.
- Students on financial aid are eligible to receive a partial scholarship from the Department of Spanish and Portuguese.
- Students on financial aid are also encouraged to apply for a grant from Princeton’s Office of International Programs.
- For summer courses, the Office of Financial Aid offers aid recipients student loans to help meet costs. See the Summer School Funding Information.
- Special consideration will be given to students planning to concentrate in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese.
For more information, contact Prof. Christina Lee.